Woodend was a village built by the Coltness Iron Company c.1860s to house its coal miners and their families. By 1868 there were 39 houses, and by 1891, 62 houses, a school and a population of 346. The houses were unusual in being built of stone, not brick.
The blocks of houses were called East, Office, Stable, School and West Rows.
As well as a school, Woodend also had its own Football team and pitch, as well as a Miner’s Welfare building which housed dances.
By the post-war era, the houses were sub-standard. West Lothian County Council considered re-building the village, but in the 1950s opted for demolition. The inhabitants were re-housed in Armadale, about a mile away.
Read more about Woodend on armadale.org.uk by clicking here