Mrs Anne Young built the single storey Star Inn almost against the Toll House in 1861 at no. 2 East Main St.
It was later turned into a hotel.
The second storey was added in 1928.
It had a reputation for rowdiness and local policemen referred to it as ‘The Flying Tumbler’. A policeman claimed the lounge was the most beautiful he had ever seen, but no-one used it – they packed themselves into the bar instead.