Miners Welfare

 

The Miners Welfare Institute in East Main Street was built in 1923.  In 1929 a hall extension for functions and dances, with facilities underneath for billiards, was added by the Institute Committee.  After the disbandment of the committee, the building was sold many times, until, in 1996, it was acquired for housing development, and so the hall was demolished.

In its heyday, the Institute's hall was described being of 'grand proportions' , an impression probably created by its 17th century motifs, the crow-stepped central bay as well as the three-storied tower with its corbelled balustraded flat at the top.

 

Miners Welfare

Miners Welfare

Public House Society inside the Miners Welfare

Public House Society inside the Miners Welfare