Mayfield Hosiery (40 female employees) founded 1938: located in an area of the old Atlas Steel Works. Originally it was a Manchester-based firm owned by J.D. Wilding Co Ltd. Manager at Armadale: G. Wilding, Deputy Manager: Andrew Lamont. Early 1930s, Wilding closed down and Andrew Lamont took over and named it Mayfield Hosiery. Closed during WWII. After the war, the firm moved to the Stonerigg site and a new factory building was constructed using the bricks from demolished air raid shelters. Machinery: 4 power knitting machines + hand-operated machines + sewing plants. Eventually secondhand machines became available followed by new machines. Materials: initially mainly wool, which caused problems when the market price of wool dropped in 1952, thereby leading to an expectation of lower garment prices even though manufacturers still had stocks of more expensive yarns.
Read more in armadale.org.uk by clicking here