A lodge was chartered in Armadale, first taking up their quarters in the Buckshead Tavern (known as the West End Vaults at the time) and was consecrated in 1895. After a few months the membership had so increased that the members were compelled to seek new quarters, and Forsyth’s Hall (we believe this to be the current Gospel Hall) in South Street was rented. Colonel Thomas Hope, of Bridgecastle, being the Provincial Grand Master, the brethren resolved to honour him with the name, as the lodge was the first to be chartered in the county since he had been elected to that position, and so the lodge was designated ” Hope Bridgecastle,” its number being 827.
As numbers grew, in 1906 the Lodge acquired and renovated the old “Christian Institute” or “Volunteer Hall” in South Street, which was purchased by Colonel Hope from the Free Church for the Volunteers’ use.
Read more in Armadale Past and Present here