Before the first Church was built in the 1850s in Armadale, parishioners travelled to Bathgate to attend church. However, one on Armadale’s most interesting stories was that of James Davie, who was killed by the Dragoons in 1673 as he attended a Covenanters’ Conventicle at the South West of the town, near Netherhouse Farm and his remains lie in Kirkton Cemetery.
We know of seven churches in Armadale, some of which were built with less financial constraints, due to generous donations from Lady Gillespie, the grand-daughter of Armadale’s ‘founding father’, William Honyman (Lord Armadale).
Click on each of the photos to read more on each church.
Read more on armadale.org.uk by clicking here