During Spring 1860, Sir James Young Simpson laid the foundation stone for Armadale United Free Church, which used to be situated on South Street opposite the site of the Masonic Hall.

In 1931 the United Free Church was renamed East Church so that it could be distinguished from the former Parish Church (which was referred to as the West Church) in Academy Street. In 1976 the East Church building was pulled down after the amalgamation of the East and West Churches.

United Free Church, South St, Armadale

United Free Church, South St, Armadale

Ordnance Survey Map 1898

Ordnance Survey Map 1898

simpsonmeml1