In 1863 the Presbyterian Parish Church at Bathgate erected a church (West Kirk) building on the Bullion Brae, now Academy Street, when the Rev. James Kerr took charge of the mission. He had the happy knack of earning the highest opinion of everybody, whether of his own church or not, through his kindly disposition and the earnestness of his manner.
Rev James Kerr served in Armadale until he was lost at sea when travelling on the SS London to Australia in January 1866.
Mr Cameron, on taking up the charge of the Established Church Mission in Armadale, set to work to have the church endowed, and in July, 1884, a three days’ bazaar was held in the Public School for that purpose, when the necessary funds were forthcoming, and the church made into a quoad sacra parish.
In 1909 Rev John Drew took over the ministership of Armadale Parish Church.
“He has been a very busy and popular man. Soon finding the church too small for his congregations, he set to work to have the building enlarged and successfully carried out the scheme, transforming the interior and making the church one of the finest places of worship in the district. The old manse he found unsuitable, and he also found the need of a church hall. He set himself the task of providing a church hall and a manse, and was in a fair way of seeing both accomplished when the war broke out. One of the first to join McCrae’s 16th Battalion as a private. Mr Drew had not long to wait until he got his commission. And later he was transferred to the Black Watch in which he served throughout the war in France as a captain, and suffered from shell shock.”
Read more about Rev John Drew here